Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sparkling Dinner Conversation

Probably most moms, especially those with boys, hear some pretty crude talk at the dinner table. However, I'm new to all this and it's been very frustrating to listen to the talk that goes on around here all day and especially at meals. Benjamin has recently discovered the power of inappropriate words - the reaction they elicit in others. So his favorite thing to do is calling everyone and everything "poopy" or "stinky." Best if both words can be employed in the same phrase. Of course, Bella doesn't want to be left out, so she parrots everything he says. Today lunch conversation went like this, "Stinky poopy mommy!" said Benjamin. "Stinky poopy mommy!" said Bella. "Stinky poopy Daddy!" said Benjamin "Stinky poopy Daddy!" said Bella. All at the top of their lungs and each time interspersed with hysterical laughter by both of them. This went on until they'd named everyone in the family, and every item they could see in the room. In vain I tried to steer the conversation onto topics related to school or games. Any pleas to stop such talk were also completely ignored, if they could be heard at all over their screaming. They do this in the car, in the tub, and anywhere else the mood strikes them. Benjamin's favorite thing to do is say it with friends because it always gets a laugh. So pretty soon I have many kids all screaming these words.

I've tried putting them in time out for saying such things. I've tried getting him to only say those things in the bathroom where they belong. I've tried giving them rewards when they go a certain amount of time without saying them. I've had many conversations about appropriate language, etc. Nothing is having any effect. I know that poopy and stinky aren't swear words, but its the closest things these kids have and I find them distasteful; especially when used to describe other people. I also want to teach them now that there are words we don't use and they need to learn to respect that. I'd rather work on it now with "poop" than later on with "f*#^." So, what to do? He knows how I feel. I'll hear him come up behind me and whisper "poop" over and over as quietly as he can to see if I'll hear him and react. I don't know if I should ignore it so he doesn't get the attention he's seeking or if action is required to make it stop. Anyway this is what I thought about as I struggled to enjoy my chicken salad sandwich over the screaming. Maybe someone else has had similar trouble.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, it sounds like a frustrating dilemma. I have no good suggestions as I haven't been through this stage yet. It's sad the old method of washing a mouth out with soap is out of fashion. My Mom only had to do it once with me, and I never forgot.

Megan said...

Let us know when you figure out a solution, though, so we can keep it in mind for when we hit that stage! Good luck!