Monday, March 21, 2011

Underpants!


Guess who's been wearing underpants since Friday? This little girl has finally potty trained! The turning point came a week ago when in desperation I asked for the thousandth time, "Why won't you poop in the toilet?" Up to this point I'd always gotten such inane answers as, "I don't want to," "Because I like pooping in my diaper," or "I don't know." But on that day I got, "Because my potty seat hurts my legs." Finally, an answer I can work with! When I asked why she won't use Benjamin's former potty seat which is much softer than hers, she replied, "Benjamin's potty seat is soccer and I don't like soccer." She refused to sit on the soft seat because she objected to the soccer ball print. For someone who sits in her own excrement all day, she's quite particular. In any case, this was finally getting somewhere. That very night I ordered a pink princess potty seat which many users had commented was "very soft" and 48 hours later (even with no shipping costs!), we had the key to potty training success. From the moment it arrived, she was willing to start using the toilet and within 24 hours, she was out of diapers for good. Thank you Amazon.

We have had a couple accidents, but only minor ones. Like on our walk on Saturday, for example. I wanted to revel in the arrival of spring and so I took the kids for a walk in the woods to look for the first signs of spring growth in the forest. Neglected to consider that someone potty training might not be excited about the idea of squatting in the woods. Thus the angry face in the picture. We changed pants, though, and still had a fun time on the playground afterwards while Christian slept in the stroller. That why he's crying in the picture. Really should have taken a picture at the beginning of our walk.



Despite this, though, she's even stopped watching tv and has come in from outside to use the toilet. Those are clear signs, in my opinion, that we are home free. So I took her to the store today and let her pick out a set of underpants. (She was wearing Gerber training pants these last few days.) Of course, no surprise, she picked the Disney Princess ones. She looks so incredibly cute running around in her little panties. What a wonderful thing to be back down to only one kid in diapers!

4 comments:

Loni said...

Yeah! Way to go Isabella and Mom! Potty training can be soo frustrating, glad it's all done for one more of your kids. It's such a great feeling!!!

AJ said...

I love that she is sitting in the cart with her boots on. That's my girls too! Congrats on potty training.

The Hamblin's said...

I'll have to remember those key turning points when it comes our turn! Congrats Bella, that's exciting! Your posts always make me smile :)

Stacy said...

Congrats to you and Bella! And I thought all merry-go-rounds had been taken out for "safety" issues. Glad to see there is still a playground with fun equipment!