Thursday, May 28, 2020

Not As Planned

The kids and I had planned to go back to the beach today but I had to take Benjamin to the dermatologist this morning first.  He's had a sore on his thumb for a few months now and he called it a wart but it didn't look like a wart to me.  I told him to just keep an eye on it and let me know if it got worse.  I didn't want to take him to a doctor in the middle of a pandemic.  He didn't mention it again and I forgot all about it.  Then about 3 weeks ago he mentioned how the sore constantly bleeds and makes it hard for him to do anything. He still called it a wart, so I gave him some wart medicine and told him to use it, even though I wasn't sure that's what it was.  He used it all up and it was still there.  That's when I took a look at it again.  Upon seeing it again, after so many months, I saw that it truly was no wart.  It was a crazy looking thing that's hard to describe and I had no idea what to make of it.  It looked like the vessels inside his thumb were growing out of his skin.  So I made the appointment right away.  When the doctor looked at it, he gave us some long, complicated word for it, out of which I was only able to pick out the term "angioma" - an overabundance of blood vessels, a lot like what Peter has on his head.  This one, however, is extremely superficial and sensitive, thus is bled every time he bumped it.  The doctor said it needed to be removed and proceeded to do it right then and there.  He numbed it, cut it off, cauterized it and bandaged it all up.  It was fascinating to watch and wow, did it bleed! It was wonderful to have it taken care of so quickly, but it was kind of a bummer when he said not to get it wet for 24 hours.  Also, who wants to be in a lake with an open wound?  So, we stayed home today for the most part.  Benjamin mowed for one of his clients, Christian and I went biking with Peter and then played with him in the backyard, and Bella worked on her research project for the week, which is how to make pie crust.  We're looking forward to sampling her pie on Friday.




The funny part about today was Peter's eating habits.  He love sticking his hands in his mouth while he's eating and when he's a bit tired, he often rubs his hands over his face and head.  Combine these two things and you get quite a mess.  I tried to keep him clean but I finally just gave up and gave him a bath after lunch instead.  He didn't seem to mind being covered in beets and spinach and he loved the bath, of course!



 Mumbo joins us for scripture study every night and usually sits at Kelly's feet. (Much to his frustration) Tonight Christian was on the floor due to a conflict over couch space with Bella and so Mumbo laid with him.  Pretty soon he was up against him with his head on his arm like a pillow.  Christian loved it.  "Listening to scriptures and hugging a cat.  It's a pretty wonderful life," he said.  So sweet.

No comments: