Thursday, September 17, 2020

All's Well that Ends Well

Today was not a great day.  I think we've been in a bit of a honeymoon phase up until.  Everything was new and a little exciting.  Now at this point we've reached the slog phase.  The biggest issue I see is that because Benjamin and Bella are so busy at night now, we've moved our family scripture study to the morning.  Because classes start at 7, we've had to have study at 6:30ish - an hour before we've been used to waking up.  So, sleep deprivation has set in a bit these last couple days for some of us and today we felt the strain.  A lot of short tempers and grumpiness.  Benjamin refused to practice piano.  Christian threw a fit about having to draw a picture for art class and another when he couldn't figure out his math homework.  By 4:30 I just needed to get out.  I loaded Peter in the bike trailer and we rode to Stevenson high school and just did loops in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, just to be out and getting fresh air.  Christian joined me because he really needed that too.  After doing loops, we sat down on the sidewalk by the school, fed Peter a snack and talked.  It was really nice.  We discussed the anger issues we'd had, why he felt that way and what we could do about the situation.  I love that I can have talks like that with Christian.  Benjamin and Bella are less introspective and less aware of their own feelings and motivations.  It's hard for them to sit and discuss how they feel and why.  I really value my discussions with Christian.  We always feel better afterwards.  When we got home, we went to the trampoline and Peter practiced standing.  He is able to stand and walk, but just completely unmotivated most of the time, so we're still waiting.



I took the older two to church activities tonight while Christian watched Peter for a few minutes.  I was only gone 20 minutes, but when I came back, I found he'd turned the kitchen table into a large blanket fort.   So we had some fun inside until bed time.

As I cleaned up the kitchen tonight I thought again about how our day today had been harder and I felt sad and a little guilty that I couldn't have made it work out better.  However, then I thought about all that I had done today; all the good things.  I made a hot breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, and muffins.  I made lunch with mac'n cheese, fruits and veggies, I made dinner of chicken enchiladas with tons of vegetables. I monitored class participation, screen usage, and troubleshot system problems. I did several loads of dishes. I fed and cared for Peter.  I helped with English, biology, 5th grade math, 9th grade math (for an hour!), art homework, and piano practice.  I played in a blanket fort with Christian and Peter.  I jumped on the trampoline and rode bikes with C and P.  I mopped, cleaned, scrubbed, cleaned up toys, blanket forts, and a million books and papers, and did laundry.  I drove kids to and from activities.  I sung to Peter as I put him to bed.  I read to Christian before bed.  I had a heart-to-heart talk with Benjamin about piano and his willingness to practice (read: no willingness to practice).  I delivered requested Costco items to my neighbor. (She loves certain things there but doesn't have a membership so I get them when I go.)  As I thought over all this, I realized that it had actually been a good, productive day and that I'm a rock-star who has no need for guilt. :)   Moms are pretty amazing people. :)

No comments: