Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Welcome to the World!

He finally made it - our little boy - Benjamin Philip. He managed to make it only 3 hours before I was scheduled to begin my induction! Just like his daddy - has to have a deadline. :)

Labor story for those who want to read that sort of thing (skip to next part, if not): I started having contractions at 4am on Sunday. However, since I'd been having contractions for weeks, I wasn't sure they were the real thing. I just knew they hurt a lot more than any previous and didn't go away no matter what I did. After enduring them for over 4 hours and noticing that I wasn't even able to stand or talk during them anymore, I decided it was time to head to the hospital. I figured, even if I'm wrong, I will probaby just stay there anyway, since I'm to be induced starting at 8pm - beginning with an overnight application of cervical gel. So, off we went and sure enough, by the time we got there, my contractions were 3 minutes apart and very hard. I was dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. This was 10am. They took me into my room and gave me a birthing ball and a rocking chair and away things went. The birthing ball was nice. The contractions didn't hurt as much when I was on it as when I was in bed. However, it didn't take very long before the contractions were so severe that they were making me nauseaus. I'd have a contraction for 2-4 minutes and then vomit repeatedly until the next one. After a few hours of this, I'd had it. There was nothing left in my stomach, so I was just dry heaving and the contractions were so long and hard that I was having trouble staying relaxed like I should because I kept fearing the vomiting that was coming. I was also shaking really violently, but they said that's normal and everyone does that due to hormones, especially adrenaline. In any case, I was ready for an epidural. This was 2pm. They didn't call the anesthesiologist right away though, because they were afraid an epidural would slow my progress. So, it was only after two more requests and another hour of vomiting bile that they sent her in. So, at 3pm, I was given the heavenly epidural that I will never, ever dream of giving birth without ever again. I salute all women who chose against an epidural and survived. 5 hours without one was enough for me. After that they checked me and I was dilated to a 7 and fully effaced, so they broke my water. I labored in drug-induced peace (listening to a Sting cd; Andre Bocelli got me through the first part) for another hour or so until I started to feel the most intense pressure I've ever felt. The doctor had told me to tell her if I had the urge to push, but I couldn't tell if this was it or not. However, after another 20 minutes of the same pressure and even more violent shaking than before, I asked the nurse to get the doctor. She (the doctor) came in and checked me and immediately proclaimed - he's right there - it's time to push! I guess I'd been right after all! So before I knew what was happening, I was pushing. I pushed for 15 minutes and out he came. I've been told that that's a really short time for a first delivery. I think God knows what I can handle. Those 15 minutes felt like hours. As I was pushing I noticed the room start to fill with people. I remember that before I went into labor I'd said I only want a few people in the room when I deliver, but as everyone told me - at that point, you don't care. So it was. The whole world could have walked in and I wouldn't have cared. I was actually so insane at the moment that I thought - how nice, they'd all come to see my beautiful baby when he arrives! I can't wait to show them! Turns out the reason so many doctors and staff were coming in was because his pulse was dropping and they thought the cord was wrapped around his neck. Of course, I had no idea at all that there was any concern. When Ben came out she said, "Oh, the cord was around his foot, not his neck." My thought was, "We thought it was around his neck??" I had been clueless. However, that must have been why they kept saying things like "this baby isn't enjoying the pushing stage" and other medical euphemisms that went straight over my head. When he was finally born, they placed him on my chest for a split second and then I didn't hold him again for nearly an hour while the pediatrician checked him out and gave him oxygen. They pronounced him perfectly healthy though, and at 5:50pm, I finally got to hold my new little angel. It was the most incredible experience. Labor hurts more than you can ever imagine, but what a miracle the human body is that it does all this and rewards you with new life at the end.

Kelly and I have never been happier. He was a wonderful labor partner and I am so happy he was there to share it with me. What a great dad he's going to be. I'll continue to update on Ben's progess as time goes on, but for now, here are some of our favorite photos of the last two days. Happy Fourth of July everyone!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your baby is beautiful! Congrats!

K and M said...

Thank you! I'm biased, but I totally agree. :)