Friday, October 17, 2008

A Train!

I just had to write this little story that I'd forgotten about until now. I went to Milwaukee last weekend to visit some friends. One night we were at a restaurant next to some train tracks. A train passed by as we ate and as soon as I realized what the rumbling noise was, I jumped out of my seat and rushed to the window. There was one other in our group that also has a son. She also jumped at the same moment I did and we both stood at the window for a minute or two exclaiming excitedly, "A train! Look - it's a train!" Then it hit me - Benjamin is hundreds of miles away, I'm a grown woman out with my friends, and I'm jumping up and down in front of a window because a simple freight train is passing by. "WHAT are we doing?" I asked my friend and she started laughing with me at the realization that having a son changes you forever and there's just nothing you can do about it. I have to admit, I was mildly embarrased, but at the same time, I thought how fun it was that Benjamin has helped me to find joy in some very ordinary things. It was just a shame he wasn't there - he would have loved it - it was a very long train.

2 comments:

Loni said...

I love it, I have done the same thing. Thinking Peyton was around, I could hear him in my head with the excitement he would have experienced had he been there.

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

That is such a cute story. Motherhood definately makes you notice the simple pleasures again. Don't be embarassed. I would have done the same thing.