Monday, January 24, 2022

Beginnings of Pretend Play

As Peter gets older, it's fun to see how his imagination and ability to improvise and pretend improves.  He used to just hold the little figurine in his hand by the doll house as I would narrate pretty much the entire conversation from both sides.  Then slowly his little doll started to add to the narrative in ways he understood from his own life "I hungry" while going into the kitchen or "I go wash hands" before heading to the little doll sink.

Lately we've been doing even more fun scenarios at his request.  Scenarios that require a bit more imagination than day to day tasks. For example, we've set up a pirate attack on a treasure island.  We took turns being the natives (army soldier figurines on jenga towers) and the pirates (pirate figurines on plastic boats) and in each case we had to radio to our fellow teammates and coordinate our attack/defense.  His radio of choice was the tv remote.


We also set up a birthday party for Llama at a restaurant, complete with multiple courses and a birthday cake at the end.  We had guests with different food choices and we made sure everyone had a balanced meal. (Have to squeeze that little life lesson in wherever I can.)  It was a lot of fun.  He loves stuffed animals.  He's happiest in a big pile of them.



I've also noticed he has really started loving our animated scripture books.  I'll find him looking at them on his own a lot.  Today he brought me one and said, "That Moses!" pointing to Moses at the Red Sea, "Read me that story!"  It's fun to share those stories with him and see him beginning to find interest in those things as well.

He also loves to play pretend with Christian.  Sadly, I'm always so relieved that someone else is keeping him occupied that I always run off to get things done and forget to take a picture.  I'll have to get some pictures of the forts and elaborate games Christian and Peter invent.  They usually involve lots of furniture, blankets, and guns. :)  When he's not playing with Christian, he loves to watch Christian play.  He's my little soccer buddy.  Maybe someday he'll enjoy playing too.  So far anytime I suggest it, his answer is always "NO!"





No comments: