Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Just When Life Was Getting Monotonous

 It's been quite a busy week.  Benjamin started driver's ed driving hours.  He's taken 24 hours of classes, but this week was his first drive.  I wanted to get a picture of him but the only available lesson time was after dark.  Plus, I try not to embarrass him too much. :)   He came home from it so happy and bubbly.  He gushed about how funny the teacher was and how much fun it is to drive and what was hard and what wasn't, etc., etc.  It was so fun to see him happy and excited about something.  It was fun to hear him talking and telling me things about his life without me having to drag it out of him!  I wish he could have a driving lesson every day.

The same day as the driving lesson, Bella got her braces.  She looks so sweet, but she's in so much pain that I had to pick her up early from school today.  Braces stink.  I remember hurting so much I thought I'd never eat again.  "What am I going to do, Mom?" she lamented to me.  "Eating is my favorite hobby and now I can't do it!!!"  She was still willing to smile for me so I could take a picture.

 
Aaaand...not to be outdone, also on that very same day, Peter was a whiny, clingy, lethargic mess all morning and early afternoon.  Then, I returned home from dropping Benjamin off at his lesson, to find Peter sitting alone in the kitchen with a look on his face that I recognized immediately.  I dropped my things on the floor and rushed over to him, scooped him up and got him to the sink just in time for him to vomit multiple times.  He proceeded to vomit all afternoon, evening, and during the night.  Nothing we gave him stayed down for more than a few minutes.  He was just vomiting bile after a while.  Poor, sweet thing.  He never ran a fever or had any other symptoms, though, and he woke up in the morning feeling fine, although with a major reduction in appetite, and never had another issue.  Luckily no one else seems to have been affected by the nameless illness.  Today he was himself again and happily helped me make muffins for everyone to enjoy as an after-school treat.  Except Bella, of course, who sadly had nothing but applesauce and spent the afternoon in bed trying to sleep off her teeth-induced headache.

One more thing about Peter.  I thought I'd heard all his night-time activity, but when I got him out of bed in the morning, I found more vomit on the floor that I hadn't witnessed.  When I asked him about it, he told me, "I not want wake you.  I throw up quiet."  He'd managed to get it all on the floor and none in his bed and then had gone back to sleep.  Such a sweet boy....and thank goodness we'd recently removed the carpet and installed flooring!





No comments: