Tuesday, July 07, 2020

11 Months Old

Our little guy turned 11 months old today.  He spent his day playing in the back yard, going to the playground, and playing endlessly with kitchen utensils and hotwheels cars (his favorite thing right now).  He is also really starting to show an interest in learning to walk.  He uses his little walker toy all over the house and he can cruise along walls, cabinets, and any furniture.  He had a homemade blueberry muffin for the first time today and loved it.  He's also an incredible mimic.  He constantly imitates faces and sounds the other kids make.  They get him to do some pretty funny stuff.  Today they had him blowing raspberries while squinting his eyes shut.





Only other news is that Benjamin's foot has taken a turn for the worse.  Just as we thought it was healed up and he started mowing lawns again, it split back open a couple days ago and last night I said to Kelly that it looked like an infection was building.  We tried disinfecting it, using neosporin and essential oils, but this morning is still looked that way and tonight his entire foot is swollen, red, and hot.  I'm taking him to the doctor in the morning.  I assume it's cellulitis and he'll need a round of antibiotics.  He doesn't have a fever, so that's reassuring, but the pain and swelling is really bothering him.  I feel so bad.  I so so so wish he'd worn shoes like I told him to.  All this could have been avoided.  I pray this heals soon.  He wants to come kayaking with us on Friday and go motorcycling with Kelly next week.  I sure hope he will be able to go.

As for me, I'm doing well, but I go through periods during the day when I'm feeling so down and frustrated by this current situation.  I hate how Covid has stolen my summer and I hate that I feel guilty about it!  Isn't that the dumbest thing?  I have mom guilt that my kids are having such a boring summer even though it's absolutely not my fault.  I just so want to give them fun experiences and wonderful memories and I feel like all we do is stay at home all day.  I just don't know what else to do.  Most everything is closed and what isn't requires a mask full time which absolutely kills the joy for me.  A mask in 90 degree weather?  No thank you.  I see my friends and family in Utah doing all sorts of wonderful, fun things - water parks, family parties, etc. etc. and I hate that we can't be a part of it.  But today I read a friend's blog who's in Texas and she's in the same boat as I am - stuck at home with bored kids and a canceled summer itinerary and I know I'm not alone in this.  It just often feels that way.  I'm trying to remember that I'm doing the best I can and one boring summer isn't going to ruin their childhood.  This will pass and I pray that next summer we can do better.


No comments: