Thursday, July 23, 2020

A Perfect Match

Several times during every day I'm trying to get something done - load the dishwasher, cook dinner, etc and Peter will decide that now's the time he needs attention/food and will start to cry.  If Christian or Bella are ever around during these times they will almost always hear me struggling and come get Peter for a few minutes to allow me to finish my task.  I sooo appreciate that.  Today was no exception.  Christian was in the middle of doing math on the computer, but he wanted to help so he sat Peter with him and held him while I cooked.  As I looked over, it was just so sweet to see them together.  Christian really loves his little brother.  As he puts it, he loves him most when Peter is happy.  However, he's good with him all the time.



I saw a part of a show yesterday called "Married At First Sight."  The show's concept was that people were interviewed and then matched up in what the hosts deemed would be a compatible marriage for life.  The people were then legally married and the first time they ever see each other is at their wedding.  They are given 8 weeks of marriage to decide if they want to stay together or get divorced.  In the show I watched, half the couples stayed together and half got divorced.  Overall, according to a google search, the show's success rate long term across the 10 seasons it's been running is 26%.  That's pretty poor.  As I watched this craziness, I wondered if Kelly and I had been in this interview pool, if they would have matched us up.  I concluded that probably not.  They go based on common interests, backgrounds, goals, etc. and in a lot of ways, when we met, we were very different.  I don't think, on paper, we would have been a terribly good match.  However, I think the flaw in this show is that it isn't always the person with whom you have the most in common that's best for you.  I think what I loved so much about Kelly when we first met was that he was good at all the things I wasn't.  He knew so much about things I didn't.  I would have loved hanging out with someone who loved classical music, Shakespeare, travel, reading, running and languages like I did, but I also loved that Kelly took me camping, rock climbing, and water skiing.  The fact that he hated running, reading, and Shakespeare didn't really bother me.  He was willing to engage in those things for my benefit sometimes and I got a whole new set of hobbies.  Now I can cook a pot roast w/gravy, bottle my own peach jam and apple sauce, change the oil in my car, and tow a kayak trailer, all thanks to Kelly.   Don't ask me to drive a 4-wheeler, though.  Never doing that again.   I guess it just goes to show that God is really the best match-maker.  He knew I needed Kelly.  Yes, my basement looks like an episode of Hoarders, but I have an amazing husband who is such a great example in so many ways and such a sweet companion and father.  I love also how much he loves Jesus Christ.  Having our faith in common and knowing that our marriage isn't just between us, but also includes the Lord, is incredibly powerful.  I'm incredibly blessed.

No comments: