Saturday, July 11, 2020

Kayaking in the Rain

We'd planned to go kayaking as a family today since several weeks ago.  Due to Benjamin's infected foot, he was unable to go, so Kelly stayed home with him and kept Peter too.  That allowed me to take Christian and Bella again.  It was a warm, sunny day when we left the house, but as we pulled up to the river 25 minutes later, we saw dark clouds roll in and heard thunder.  We were excited because that meant that everyone else would be going home and we'd have a nice, shady, empty river to kayak on.  It was wonderful.  We saw only a handful of people the entire time, were kept nice and cool by the rain, and we saw quite a lot of wildlife - mostly turtles and large crane-like birds.  Of course, the favorite part of any kayak trip to Proud Lake, is always the portage.  The fish were so plentiful today that it was like a carpet of fish under the water.  Amazing.  The only downside was on the way back from the lake, I took a wrong turn in a marshlands area and landed us in some nasty, smelly, silty, shallow water that took us 30 minutes to paddle out of.  So frustrating.  I'm definitely a city girl when it comes to navigating.  Put me in a new, unfamiliar city and I'll have conquered the public transportation system and figured out the lay of the land in a couple days.  Put me out on a waterway or a forest and I will take the wrong path more than half the time.  Luckily the kids are better wilderness navigators than I am and I had my iphone, so between the two, we found our way to the correct stream quickly once we managed to dig ourselves out of that silty mess.







When we got home, Peter was in the mood for water play too.  I would have placed him in the bathtub, but Kelly did this instead. Tiny bit of water and a couple toys and he was thrilled. As long as someone was there holding the tub from tipping over when Peter stood up on the side, it worked.  All my kids love water.




No comments: