Saturday, July 04, 2020

Bury Them Deep in the Earth

Today was another boring, montonous Covid day.  I kept feeling like I wanted to go somewhere, but there was no where to go.  It was over 90 degrees outside with a killer humidity level so outside things were unbearable.  All inside places are closed, other than the crazy, overcrowded grocery stores (due to the holiday tomorrow) so we were stuck.  I took Thea shopping in the early morning to beat the crowds and spent my time returning the last of the bottles/cans.  I was so happy to be done, but a bit dissapointed that I'd over estimated the amount I'd earn.  All total the bottle/can return yielded $550.  Not bad but since I'd banked on $700, it seemed disappointing.  Christian was shocked to hear I was disappointed by $550.  That seemed like a ton to him.  He reminded me that originally I'd expected to earn no more than $100-$200, so I should be thrilled with how things turned out.  That was a good point.  We definitely have enough money now to proceed to the next phase of our plan - purchase the supplies.

Other than that, mostly I played with Peter today.  He's getting into that really great age where he can interact and play and is just so incredibly cute.  I'm dying that I can't take him to more places and really let him learn and explore, but I'm trying to do the best I can at home.  He loves being outside.  He loves seeing everything and investigating and observing.  He would spend all day crawling around in the yard, eating pine cones and slapping at bugs.  I can't wait until he can walk and I can take him to the park and the woods and show him around there. Right now we go for stroller walks or I put him in the backpack carrier, but it'll be even better when he can walk on his own.

We also did our Come Follow Me study tonight.  We studied the chapters about the Anti-Nephi-Lehi people.  They buried their weapons deep in the earth and made a covenant with God to never use them again.  We decided to write something on a piece of paper that was keeping us from being closer to God and bury it deep in the earth in order to rid ourselves of that habit/thing.  We all wrote something and then went into the forest part of the back yard.  Christian dug a hole and we stood around it and shared what we'd written.  Benjamin refused to join us.  He'd been in a bad mood since he'd had trouble getting his new piano keyboard to work with his laptop.  He'd gotten so angry that he'd punched a hole in his desk, cutting his hand.  He'd also gritted his teeth so severely that he'd chipped one.  He generally hates family scripture study and almost always joins reluctantly, so with such a mood, he was downright surly.  He knew not coming out wasn't an option, so he laid in the hammock nearby as we shared what we'd written.  Kelly said he wanted to stop avoiding his journal and start writing more.  Christian said he wanted to bury the feeling that reading scriptures is hard and stop putting it off some mornings.  I thought that was interesting, because Christian is actually very consistent in his scripture study habit.  He reads most mornings.  I wrote something similar. I wrote "putting worldly things before prayer and scripture study."  I have a bad habit of saying "I'll pray/read my scriptures as soon as I ...."  Meaning, as soon as I clean the counter top, feed Peter, do the dishes, etc.  However, when that's done, there's another thing to do and another after that and then I forget to read/pray for several more hours.  So I end up only reading a few times/week at unideal times.  I'd like to do that differently.   Bella didn't want to share what she'd written and that was ok with me.  After everyone had thrown in their papers, we buried them and went back inside to talk about the importance of prayer and including the Lord in this process because just setting a goal like this and trying to do it all on your own is impossible.

I worry about Benjamin.  We got the marching band schedule today.  Not sure if they'll be able to meet or not, but the schedule had practices every Sunday.  As if he wasn't anti-church enough as it is.  Now he's going to be at the high school every Sunday and I have to take him.  I was very upset.  I'm so glad that marching band only lasts a few months and not the whole year.  I really hope that he doesn't like it and doesn't want to do it again.

No new pictures today, sadly.  I bought all the fixings for a BBQ and fireworks tomorrow, so hopefully I remember to take some pictures tomorrow!

No comments: