Sunday, July 05, 2020

Happy 4th of July!

Today was another hot, hot day, but we managed to have our BBQ, fireworks, and firefly catch anyway.  I'd bought several kinds of fireworks at the grocery store yesterday just on a rushed whim as I was checking out and, as a result, I bought things I didn't expect.  One was called "jalapeno popper."  I assumed it was a box of those little snaps firecrackers - the little gray paper bundles that make a loud pop when you throw them onto the ground.  However, when I got home and tried to open the box, I noticed a fuse on the top of it.  Turns out that whole box was one fire cracker.  I got several more smaller things called "flowers" that, when lit, spin and shoot sparks that change colors as it goes.  Those were the hit today.   The kids loved watching them spark and spin all over the patio.  The jalapeno popper was also pretty amazing, but surprisingly loud and big.  I'm not used to lighting fireworks and it was a bit startling.  I'll definitely have to buy more of those if I can find them, though.  The kids loved having more than just sparklers to play with - especially Benjamin. He got such a kick out of the spinning ones.  It was so nice to see him excited about doing something with us.  He could have played with those all night.  My kids are definitely growing up.



I prepared a really nice BBQ today too - hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, corn on the cob, watermelon, and broccoli salad.  In order to be able to get it all done in time, with cooking the burgers and hot dogs on the grill and whatnot, I started prepping early.  First I shucked corn.  Peter sat beside me and watched.  I explained what I was doing and when I'd shucked the first one, he started to screech and reach.  I handed him the corn so he could see what it looked like on the inside and I thought he'd investigate and throw it aside.  However, he put it in his mouth and discovered how delicious it was.  I never got it back.  He devoured the entire corn cob by himself.  It was impressive.  With only his 7 little teeth in the front, he took care of the whole thing.  He seemed delighted.



Tonight we let the kids stay up late to catch fire flies.  Christian especially loves doing that.  Benjamin didn't bother.  He went back inside after the fireworks.  Bella joined but was a little grossed out by actually having the bugs on her hands.  She caught a few and then just admired them in her jar.  Christian, however, was running all over the yard catching them, naming them, releasing them and starting over.  He had a wonderful time.  I love just looking out over the yards and seeing all the blinking lights everywhere.  I can't ever remember a year when there was such as abundance of fireflies as this year.  It was incredibly beautiful.  I love our summer evenings out catching them.  When the kids heard that there are no fireflies in Utah, they felt so sad for their cousins and vowed they could never live there.




No comments: