Monday, June 01, 2020

Another Beautiful Day

The weather just keeps being amazing.  I couldn't stand to spend any of it inside today.  Christian and I went running in the morning and then we went on a long bike ride after Peter's nap.  I'm not sure how far, but we decided to explore a new neighborhood we'd never biked in before and just took random turns all along the way, exploring as we went.  It was really fun.  Bella and Peter came along too and it was so pleasant to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.  With the stay-at-home order in place, there are few cars and lots of people in their yards and on bikes.  I can't remember when I've seen so many people walking and riding bikes!  It's amazing.  I think the wonderful weather brings people out as well, but it was fun to see so many people enjoying the outdoors.  It made me realize that Livonia really is a pretty wonderful place.  Great neighborhoods, nice people, beautiful forest areas, etc.  I'm very lucky to live here.  After the ride, we went home for a snack and a brief respite, and then returned to the same neighborhood wearing boots and long pants in order to explore a forest area we saw there.  We'd been in it years and years ago when the kids were very little but I was curious to see how it looked now.  It was much less rustic.  The path wasn't paved like they'd  so rudely paved the path in our woods, but it was far better worn than I remember it and the trees seemed more sparse.  Still a lovely little wooded area, though.  It was a delight to explore in it.  The only thing which detracted from my wooded reverie was that Christian brought his sword and constantly "bushwhacked" around.  He kept investigating if various fallen logs were old or new by slamming his sword into it and seeing what happened.  When it was new, he got quite a painful reverberation in his hand!  When it was old, he'd send chunks of splintered wood flying in all directions.  His sword made me nervous, so I kept my distance.  I never knew what he would send my way. He sensed my nervousness and asked about it.  When I explained, he stopped.  I thought that was nice.  I knew he'd enjoyed doing it, so I allowed him to recommence later on when I'd had enough mental reprieve.
On the way home, we found a beautiful field of daisies that I had to photograph.  I thought Peter looked so cute in it.

Last night the kids' piano teacher brought by their awards for the year - for Federation Piano competition and for completion of their year's goals.  Christian was so proud of them he wanted me to take a picture.  (The others were too, of course.)  I'm proud of them too.  I love that they got awards for actual work and not just participation.






No comments: