Wednesday, June 10, 2020

You Want Me to Swim in Fish Pee?

The kids were dying to go back to the lake today.  We worried about the crowds (justifiably - it was crazy crowded!!) but they so love it there, so we went.  The kids found a wonderful, private entrance spot on the lake and managed to have a pretty secluded time despite the thousands that crowded in there today.  I'm always content to baby watch on the shore and let the kids do their thing in the water.  My job is to get them there, provide snacks, and make sure no one dies.  I do not swim in nasty, cold, fishy lakes.  However, after an hour of playing, the kids asked me to come swim too.  They insisted that it would be much more fun with me.  They wanted to show me their dives and, the full truth emerging only after I was in it, Bella needed someone to hold her boogie board while she dove so it didn't float away.  After much persuasion, my mom guilt won and I decided I should go in the lake with the kids and brave the fish poop and seaweed.  I was pretty disgusted when I first went in, but I got used to it.  After a few minutes I was having fun.  I floated in an inner tube so I could hold Peter at the same time and the kids each had their boards.  However, it seemed that everyone wanted to be with me on the tube instead.  It was pretty crazy crowded at times, not to mention tippy!  I kept trying to orchestrate it so they hung on opposite one another so they didn't flip me out!  In the end, I was glad I did it.  I can't say I'll do it every time.  Public water places still gross me out, but I was glad to spend the time with the kids doing something they enjoyed so much.



Benjamin floating out alone which his large container of sandwiches. No better place for a teenage boy.



Benjamin started an online German class today.  His schedule next year will be so packed, he doesn't have room for it in his classes.  So he's trying to get it out of the way over the summer.  However, I made the stupid mistake when I registered him that I registered for German 1 and he needs German 2.  I didn't notice at first, but I had to call the online service and have them change it and that took 24 hours so now he's a day behind.  Hopefully he has the diligence to work on it.  These kinds of opportunities are wasted on the young.  I'd love to be able to immerse myself in a language class.  I think it would be a lot of fun.  He's dreading it.  I was really glad he came to the beach with us today, though.  He didn't come the last time and it always makes me sad when his teenager shows through and he spends his time just sitting in his room doing homework or playing on his phone.  He's such a better person when he gets out and gets some exercise.  Now if I could just convince him to put on sunscreen!

No comments: