Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Redeeming Ourselves

After that failure of a kayaking trip on Saturday, I was dying to try again.  Only Christian felt the same way, however.  So I offered Bella $25 to baby sit Peter so Christian and I could go kayaking together.  It was the perfect kayaking trip.  One of my top three favorite ever.  It rained hard all morning so no one wanted to be out on the water, but by the time we got there at 11, the rain had stopped and it was a perfect, cloudy but warm summer day.  With only one kid, unloading and getting on the water took only minutes and we were off and having a blast in no time. 



We only saw two other boats on the water the entire time we were out there.  We saw a heron so close we could almost touch it.  We also saw tons of dragonflies and birds in a dance of death.  The dragon flies would swarm and flit over the water and the birds would swoop down and dive bomb them and then pull up fast and swoop away.  It was so fun to see all these birds and bugs flying all over around us.  A couple times a bird came so close to our heads that we could feel the rush of wind from their wings.   There were so many fish in the water too.  Some were very large.  We paddled all the way up to the portage and Christian wanted to go swimming a while up there before turning around and heading back to the car.  On the way back, he wanted a chance to try to paddle.  He found it harder than he thought and rammed us into the weeds more often than he wanted to and gave up. Next time I'll bring a paddle for him too and we can paddle together.  I think that'll be easier for him.







I absolutely love kayaking.  I love the peaceful sounds of the river, the fresh air, the exercise, the animals and nature so close and I love feeling like I'm right in the middle of it, but I'm not really interfering.  I'm just silently going by and admiring. I would have loved to stay many more hours but I had to get home to Bella and Peter.  She was having a hard time getting him to eat without slapping the spoon and was getting really frustrated with him.  He always tells you he's all done eating by slapping hard and suddenly at the spoon.  He's gotten food all over me at times, not to mention his tray, seat, floor, cupboards, and himself.  I'm currently doing a laundry load that includes 4 pairs of pants which were spoiled by Peter slapping his spoon and sending his food airborne.  She was texting me when I'd be home, so we rushed a bit.  I really wish Bella would have wanted to come along because I think she would have liked it.

No comments: